SpaceX and NASA have confirmed that an “anomaly” occurred yesterday during a static fire test of the SuperDraco engines on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft. The Crew Dragon spacecraft has eight SuperDraco engines that are used for its abort system in case of an emergency during launch or ascent to orbit. SpaceX is readying for an in-flight abort test as part of its preparations for commercial crew flights to the International Space Station (ISS).
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the week of April 21-27, 2019 and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess this week, except for pro forma sessions. They return for legislative business next week.
Margaret Kivelson is the new chair of the Space Studies Board (SSB) of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. She succeeds Fiona Harrison who stepped down in order to co-chair the ongoing Decadal Survey on Astronomy and Astrophysics. Harrison was the first woman to chair SSB in its 61-year history. Now Kivelson is the second.
NASA released crew assignments for the International Space Station (ISS) through spring 2020 today. Notable by their absence are flights by the two U.S. commercial crew companies, SpaceX and Boeing. NASA had hoped that U.S. launches of ISS crews would begin this year. Instead, U.S. crew members will be staying for longer periods of time, including what will be a record-breaking mission by Christina Koch. She will remain for almost 11 months, returning in February 2020 instead of this fall.
The Science and Technology Policy Institute’s (STPI’s) independent analysis of the possibility of sending humans to Mars in 2033 concludes that it is “infeasible under all budget scenarios and technology development and testing schedules.” It might be possible for such a mission to depart Earth in 2037, but 2039 is more realistic, the report says. “Mars 2033” became a rallying cry for some human spaceflight enthusiasts during the Obama Administration and although NASA’s plans have changed quite a bit since then, a sizable Mars-or-bust community remains.
Here are SpacePolicyOnline.com’s tidbits for April 15, 2019: Beresheet 2 already in the works; Falcon Heavy core stage tips over; Apollo 11’s Mike Collins wants “JFK Direct” to Mars; Skylab and shuttle astronaut Owen Garriott passes away. Be sure to check our website for feature stories and follow us on Twitter (@SpcPlcyOnline) for more news and live tweeting of events.
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the next TWO weeks, April 14-27, 2019, and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess until April 29, except for pro forma sessions.
Almost two dozen members of the Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) quizzed four top military and civilian Pentagon leaders for more than two hours today about why a Space Force is needed and how much it will cost. In the end, there was no consensus from either Republicans or Democrats. Most seem to remain unconvinced that it will add value instead of just more bureaucracy, but are open to further discussions.
The Israeli Beresheet lunar lander failed to make a soft landing on the Moon today, but the effort, led by Israeli non-profit SpaceIL, is being widely hailed nonetheless. Although it did not win the $20 million Google Lunar X-Prize, the X-Prize Foundation decided to award the SpaceIL team $1 million anyway in recognition of reaching lunar orbit. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine and Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin were among those praising SpaceIL and encouraging them to keep trying.
NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said today that NASA is dividing its human lunar exploration program into two phases. Phase 1, to be completed by 2024 as directed by the White House, will focus on getting astronauts to the lunar surface fast. Phase 2, by 2028, will focus on making the program sustainable. The plan itself remains the same as before, but the Administration will request funding to accelerate it by 4 years.
- Nike Mens Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG Bred Toe Red Black-White 555088-610
- New NIKE EXP X-14 'Just Do It' Pack WHITE TOTAL orange-BLACK-WOLF GREY AO3095-10
- 1996 Original Nike Air Adjust Force Size 14 OG Vintage 90s Basketball Sneakers
- Nike Air Shake Ndestrukt Dennis Rodman bluee White 943020-400
- Brand New Men's Adidas Campus Adicolor Trace Scarlet White Size 10.5 Very Nice
- Adidas Women Originals Stan Smith Sneakers Sports White CQ2810 UK3.5-6.5 04'
- New Balance M1080WB9 1080v9 White Black & Deep Ozone bluee Men's Running shoes
- Puma Defy Wns X SG Selena Gomez Grey Silver White Women Running shoes 191767-01
- NIKE Air Footscape Magista Fly knit F.C Men's Sneaker
- 2016 Nike Air Jordan Retro 11 XI Men’s Space Jam shoes 100% Authentic Size 10.5
- NIB Men's Nike Kaishi Run Tanjun shoes Experience Rosche Choose color and Size
- NIKE AIR MAX 97 SE GS blueE HERO WHITE BLACK RUNNING WOMEN KIDS US YOUTH SIZES
- Adidas Questar Adicolor Zx800 Sz 8 Boost
- Adidas NMD_R1 Womens Running Trainer shoes Size 4.5 7 7.5 RRP - New
- Nike Air Jordan 8 Retro Champagne Championship Trophy Size 8. 832821-030 OVO
- Nike Air Max 90 VT Mens size 9.5 RARE
- New Balance Men's M5000XCB - MXC5000 9 D
- Mens Vans Old Skool Suede Sherpa Grape Green Leather Trainers Sz Size
- AIR JORDAN 11 RETRO LOW CLEAT WHITE blueE AO1560 107 SZ 8-14 BRAND NEW PATENT XI
- Nike Air Skylon 2 Fear Of God Low Size 8.5
- Nike Air Jordan Retro X 10 Orlando 2018 White Black Royal bluee Silver 310805-108
- Nike Roshe Two (GS) Running Trainers 844653 004 Sneakers shoes
- NIKE Basketball shoes NIKE Basketball High Tops White NIKE Hyper Dunk Size 15
- NIKE Kids Original AIR MAX 270 New Arrival Kids Running shoes Outdoor Sneakers
- NIKE AIR MAX 90 SE WOMAN SIZE 6.0 COBBLESTONE NEW RARE STYLE COMFORTABLE
- Adidas Tubular Instinct Low Black on Black Mens Sz 11 (BY3157)
- NEW SZ 6.5 adidas W SAMBA Leather Ostrich Skin-Look Fits Like a SZ 7.5 1AVL
- New Balance ML 597BGN The New Balance ML597BGN sneaker is a multi-colord shoe f
- Puma 850455 02 Women's Trousers, women's, 850455 02 Puma White S .
- 100% Authentic Nike Lebron 11 Low Easter Size 13 642849 100
- NIKE AIR PRESTO ULTRA BREATHE BLACK WHITE SIZE 10 NEW WITH BOX (898020-003)
- Nike Zoom KD VII 7 Elite EYBL Copper Sz. 16 Durant White pink gold
- Nike Lebron 16 XVI Superbron Superman White bluee Red CD2451-100 Size 5.5 New
- NIKE ZOOM HAWK FLIGHT CLASS OF 97 SIZE 11.5 NO BOX 805272 001 GOOD CONDITION NDS
- Men's NIKE Flex 2016 RN Men AthleticTraining shoes 830369 101 Sz 8.5
- 2018 WMNS Nike Vapormax 97 SZ 7 Vintage Coral Anthracite Black AO4542-902